Night Watch > Amenities/Features

Amenities/Features

Pearson park lies about 1 mile (1.5km) northwest of the city centre and was the first public park to be opened in Hull. The land for the park was provided in 1860 by Zachariah Charles Pearson (1821-91) to mark his first term as mayor of Hull.

 

The park, which covers c.23 acres (9 Ha) of land, was designed by James Craig Niven (1828-81), curator of Hull's Botanic Gardens. Features of the park include a small serpentine lake, a broad carriage drive running around the perimeter, and a Victorian-style conservatory (rebuilt in 1930) - all set in well-maintained grounds with plenty of trees and shrubs.

 

 

 

The main entrance to the park, at the end of Pearson Avenue on Beverley Road, is through an elaborate cast-iron gateway created by Young & Pool in c.1863. The gateway, along with several other structures within the park, is now listed as a building of special architectural/historic interest. The other listed structures include:

 

 

 

  • the east entrance lodge (number 1) built in 1860-1
  • an ornate cast-iron canopied drinking fountain erected in 1864
  • the statue of Queen Victoria created by Thomas Earle in 1861
  • the statue of Prince Albert created by Thomas Earle in 1868
  • the Pearson memorial - an iron-stone monolith featuring a marble relief carving created by William Day Keyworth junior in 1897
  • the cupola from Hull's demolished Town Hall built in 1862-66 (erected here in 1912) and
  • three surrounding villas (numbers 43, 50 and 54) built in the 1860s
  • A serpentine lake with water fowl
  • A bowling green with pavilion
  • A children's play area with swings, climbing frames, etc
  • A small refreshment building with outside seating, selling tea, coffee, soft drinks and ice-cream

 

FriendsofPearsonPark.co.uk